History of 1203 Dauphin Street
The Offices of Tobias & Comer Law, LLC
1203 Dauphin Street | Mobile AL 36604
The home was constructed in 1852 by Frederick Stewart, a cotton factor, in the Greek Revival style with a central hallway and four rooms on either side. In 1902, the home was purchased by Arthur Kimball, a tug boat captain who owned Mobile Towing, which operated as a towboat service on the Mobile River. In 1910, Kimball modernized the building by blending Colonial Revival and Arts and Crafts details. In 1946, Kimball’s daughter, Ethel Kimball LeBeau, acquired the property and turned it into the LeBeau Apartments, which operated until the 1970s.
The downstairs fireplaces on the west side of the home are original black Italian marble. The 1910 renovation resulted in Victorian lace ironwork and classical revival details on the eastside fireplaces. The house retains some of the original wide plank flooring, although much of the interior reflects the 1910 renovation, including narrower floorboards. The interior doors all have operable transoms, original baseboards and hardware are present throughout. The staircase rail reflects the original classical revival style. The home was purchased by Desi Tobias in 1996 and has been completely renovated for use as a law office.
The home is currently the law practice of Tobias & Comer Law, with attorneys Desi Tobias, Bryan Comer and Lacey Smith.